Monday, January 7, 2008

Why I can't vote for Barack Obama




As an African American man, I have always dreamed of helping to elect a Black man (or woman) as President of the USA. Now, here we are, Democrats poised to nominate such a man. I should be shouting Hallelujah, but I can’t. My Catholic faith has led me to understand and embrace wholeheartedly the Church’s pro-life stance. You must understand that this is something that would have been unimaginable not that long ago. Probably like most pro-choice folks, I wasn’t for abortion per se, but understood it as a "woman’s right" to decide when, and when not, to become pregnant. As a true blue liberal I saw pro-life or, as we would have said, anti-choice, folks as nothing but right-wing nuts who wanted to control women. But now understanding how the Church views this issue ,and how Catholics (should) believe that God commanded us not to kill, and Christ told us to love our neighbor, I cannot see how killing the unborn child can be a consistent with God's Word or liberal values, and is most certainly not a "right". All of the things liberals and most Democrats fight for such as universal healthcare, a higher minimum wage, equal treatment for all, free universal pre-K, environmental stewardship, none of that means anything if you don’t have the right to be born; the right to Life.

While none of the Democratic candidates stand firmly against abortion, Barack Obama seems to me to be the most pro-abortion. Not only is he pro-abortion but he seems the most arrogant towards those who are pro-life. How this can be from a man who says he is a Christian is beyond me, but then some Christian denominations are ok with divorce and gay “marriage” as well.

Just take a look at the video above. In my view, it’s one of the most disingenuous arguments for abortion “rights’ I have ever heard. How does a new human life affect the future of his young daughters? Their father is a young Harvard trained attorney, Senator and possibly future President. How can snuffing the life from one who hasn't even had the chance to enjoy it lead to the equal and fair treatment of women? Unfortunately, it falls in line with much of the liberal defense of abortion -- a line that I once parroted.

Sorry Barack, but I’ll wait for a Black candidate who stands for the sanctity of life.

3 comments:

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

I also agree also being African American. His pro-abortion stances make the pro-abortionists look like canonized Saints. Very good post!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to challenge BHO; I believe the love and hope you had for your daughters was manifest at the moment your wife told you she was pregnant.

Walter said...

Good point gravey. Ask him also how he would have felt if the doctor or nurse had left Malia or Natasha to die even after they were born.