Friday, January 11, 2008

This is our fault



Bill Donohue of the Catholic League has done a good job in his media appearances to defend the faith against its defamation by The View's Joy Behar. One thing Behar’s comments, attitudes, and downright hatred of Catholicism have shown me is how horribly our schools and parishes the faith are at teaching the faith. Behar, like all lapsed Catholics, is in a sense our fault. The Church bears much responsibility for her complete ignorance of the faith she was apparently brought up in. I'm a convert so I was never exposed to any childhood Catholic education, but I will tell you I learned almost nothing about the faith in my RCIA class. All that I know, and have grown to love, about Catholicism I learned through my own initiative.

This has got to change!

UPDATE: Joe has a few excellent suggestions

3 comments:

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

The Faith isn't taught now and days, it's only feelings and emotions. Lex Orandi, Lex Crendi, A change in the Catechesis will cause a change in belief. (Ironically, none of these things called for by Vatican II)

Walter said...

"it's only feelings and emotions"

Or BS psychobable. During on of our classes the entire two hours was on "What do you say when you pray?". Granted the Sister (habitless of course) encouraged us o expand our prayer life but she failed to introduce any of the wonderful prayers of the Church to us. Not even the Rosary!

Another class was "What do you see when you see God?". Utter crap.

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

That sounds exactly like my archdiocesan formation class. (I stopped paying attention once they started talking like that)...wow, no rosary? Poor 60's and 70's sisters, they have no clue.